The days of exploration and discovery seem to have come and gone. There are very few places left on our Earth (apart from 95% of the Earth’s oceans) that have been left unexplored. Not to fear though. There’s no need to step into a mini submarine like Jacques Cousteau and navigate the ocean floor to feel like an explorer.
There was a time when the first explorers that traversed Africa’s savannahs, grasslands and woodlands weren’t able to enjoy a cold one at the hotel bar. Tents, beds, food and water had to be carted along while exploring. We have come a long way since Africa’s earliest explorers, but explorer camps and mobile safaris remain a staple of African adventures and are one of the options when it comes to a Tanzanian safari.
“But why should I consider an explorer safari?”
This is the part where I say “But wait, there’s more!”, and there is when it comes to explorer safaris.
- Flexibility – Tented camps, lodges and hotels mean that you are in the same place night-to-night. Explorer safaris mean that you can move off those well-worn game tracks. In some cases you can follow the game for better game viewing opportunities.
- The appeal of camping with all the basic comforts and more – Although you won’t be able to lounge poolside while enjoying a good book, we have made sure that your basic comforts are taken care of (minus packing the kitchen sink). Comfortable beds, good linen, en-suite toilets, and hot showers are provided by the crew and all meals are prepared by our safari chef.
- Walking safaris – Trade in the comfort of game views from a land cruiser for a walking safari. With your day-pack ready and walking stick in hand, you can do some exploring while your support crew moves ahead to set up camp for the night. We offer fully guided and supported walking safaris inside the Serengeti National Park (these walks must be pre-booked).
- Photographic safaris – Hey, we couldn’t bring the kitchen sink, but we definitely recommend that you bring your camera. Tanzania offers so many photo opportunities for avid game lovers. Whether on foot or in the comfort of a land cruiser, explorer safaris are a great way to snap some pics.
- Privacy – Year after year Tanzania brings together safari and game lovers from all over the world. Some seasons are busier than others and this means a lot more visitors in Tanzania’s game reserves and national parks. Explorer safaris mean that you have a bit more privacy. Instead of waking up, and going to sleep, to the sound of fellow guests, wake up to the sound of chirping birds and go to sleep to the sound of roaring lions.
The question remains though – “Who wouldn’t enjoy a cold one, from the hotel bar while lounging poolside?” Well, not many people I’m sure – I could go for one right now. Explorer and mobile safaris offer so much more though. They offer one of the most thrilling safari experiences there is, as you experience Tanzania under canvas with nothing but the peaceful hum of wildlife around you. And whilst we aren’t serving your sundowner alongside a swimming pool, we can still promise drinks that are cold, plenty, and wild surroundings that are as close to nature as one could ever wish for.